Interview With Powerlifter Cody Yager "The Next Big Thing" as told to CriticalBench.com by Ben Tatar - August 2007
Cody Hold the Teenage World Record in the Unequipped Drug Free Squat
Cody Yager Squats 600 Pounds Raw in July 2007
1) CRITICAL BENCH: Cody is one of the most motivated and interesting powerlifters in the game who very well might be the "The Next Big Thing." Cody, it is great to have you here with Critical Bench today. Tell us about yourself.
My name is Cody Yager. I'm 19-years old from Ridge Manor Florida.I have short blond hair and green eyes. I listen to Heavy Metal and Hard-Core Rap. I get along with everyone. I'm a powerlifting and someday I will be a strongman.
2) CRITICAL BENCH: Cody what is your height, weight and best lifts?
I'm 6'0 , 376 (currently) 600 LB Squat, 625 Deadlift , and 425 Bench Press ( Not In Competition )
3) CRITICAL BENCH: What Federations do you compete in and why do you choose to compete in Drug Free Federations?
I compete in the 100% RAW Powerlifting Federation. In my personal opinion it is not true strength when you use drugs.
4) CRITICAL BENCH: Do you THINK you can beat Scott Weech's raw squat record of 850?
Gosh big question! I think I will someday. It will take a lot of training and hard-work though.
5) CRITICAL BENCH: I hear you train at home. What is it like training at home? Why do you like training at home more than the local gym?
It feels like old school training before air conditioning was around. I get to workout at my own pace as long as I want, listen to music as loud as I want, and I can use chalk which is not allowed at the local gym.
6) CRITICAL BENCH: Very hardcore! Cody, what is the craziest thing you've ever seen in powerlifting?
When I was helping coach the weightlifting team at our high school a kid was squatting too heavy of a weight. As the kid was squatting he didn't put the collars on the bar, he tilted left and all the weights fell off and then he tilted right and the rest of the weights fell off.
7) CRITICAL BENCH: A "gotta see this moment nevertheless"! Cody, tell us about your sponsors BMF Sports and APT Pro Wrist Straps.
I'm so glad they have taken a risk and work with me since I'm relatively new to powerlifting. They are great guys and I look forward to a long relationship with them. Shawn "Bud" Lyte is the owner of BMF Sports. Visit his site at: http://www.bmfsports.com. Visit APT at www.prowriststraps.com
Monday : Squats 5x7
Bench Press 5 x Of Any Number That I Feel,No Lower Then 3 To 4 Though.
Bent Over Rows 5x7 To 10
Front Laterals 5x5-7
Up Right Rows 3x5-7
Wednesday : Squats 1x20
Super-Set Tricep Extensions With 45LB Plate Or Higher
Good Mornings 3x10 Or 5x5
Core Training ( A lot Of Core Training )
Friday : Squats 5x3
Bench Press 5x5
Bar Shrugs 5x7
Front Laterals 5x5-7
Bent Over Rows 5x5
9) CRITICAL BENCH: Nice routine, I'm sure many of readers will give it a try. Cody, what are your future goals? Where do you see yourself 5 years from now, 10 years from now and in your prime?
*In 2008 I would like to be competing in the 308 weight class.
*5 years from now I want to convert to strongman.
*10 years from now I'm going to convert to the World's strongest man and not only convert to the World's Strongest Man contest but I'm going to win it!
10) What are your 5 biggest tips for a bigger bench?
1) Do a lot of bench pressing. Practice the movement like it's a religion.
2. Heavy Lat Training.
3) Heavy Tricep training
4) Heavy shoulder training (Traps and Deltoids.)
5) Try to pause a lot of your reps.
11) CRITICAL BENCH: Great advice. That sounds like Jeremy Hoornstra's video in a nutshell as you train all factors of a bigger bench hard to attain a bigger bench. What makes Cody Yager different from everyone else?
My Personality.....No one can match my personality :)
12) CRITICAL BENCH: Tell us about the funny man that Big Cody is, in and out of the gym!
This is the most difficult question for me! Hahaha.. Umm Wow Ok... I do a lot of Dave Chepelle Impersonations, such as Prince, Rick James "uniiity" R Kelly, etc. I can also do good Chris Farley and Sean Connery impressions. I drive my family nuts when I go into the living room singing Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey! It's very high-pitched sounding!
13) CRITICAL BENCH: Let's do some short answers now.
If you could wrestle anyone at a WWE Main Event who would it be? Why?
It would have to be Bill Goldberg. I use to think he looked so cool. Especially those large traps of his. I would run around the house doing that stomp he did when he first came on stage.
What are your fears?
My career ending in strength sports. Don't get me wrong, I know there is more to life but I love what I do. I don't want to look back on my life someday as a Highlight, I want my my life to BE the Highlight!
Are you a risk taker?
No not at all. I hardly even go out.
What's your favorite food?
I don't have just one favorite food. I appreciate all foods. My momma is a great cook. Aside from that ice cream :)
How do you pump yourself up?
Listening to loud music.
What do you think the SHIRT and RAW record will be in 50 years from now?
There is no telling in 50 years from now. If genetics keep maturing like they are, it will be ridiculously high.
What's your training philosophy?
Determination makes you the strongest!
What's your advice for beginners, intermediates, and advanced lifters?
It's not where you start, it's where you finish.
What was the craziest thing you've ever done?
Hahahahahaha. No comment. I don't think the federation would appreciate that. Nor would my sponsors. Sorry Critical Bench :(
Cody, what message would you like to give to those who compete against you?
Please do not disrespect me.
CRITICAL BENCH: When your powerlifting career is all said and done how do you want to be remembered?
I want to be remembered like Arnold.. The greatest!
CRITICAL BENCH: You're well on your way. Cody, Critical Bench has enjoyed talking to you today. In closing would you like to give a shout out to anyone?
I would like to give special thanks to BMF Sports, APT Pro Wrist straps, mind over matter clothing, Shaker's Grill& Club out of Brooksville Florida. My family, friends and loved ones. Thank you so much everyone. It is an honor to be with all of you. And last but not least, I want to thank Critical Bench for such an amazing opportunity. You guys are the best! Thank you so much!