Longjack Supplement Guide: Also Known As Tongkat Ali!
1. What is it and where does it come from?
Longjack (Eurycoma Longifolia Jack / Tongkat Ali / Malaysian Ginseng / Pasak Bumi) is a bitter tasting herb extracted from the Eurycoma shrub grown in Malaysia and Asia. The Eurycoma Longifolia Jack extract is taken from the roots of the plant.
As a dietary supplement Longjack is available in powder or pill form.
2. What does it do and what scientific studies give evidence to support this?
Longjack has been used traditionally as an aphrodisiac and libido booster. Scientific studies support its use for this purpose and demonstrate that it is effective at boosting sexual function and endurence.
Longjack is believed to stimulate the production of endogenous testosterone and to reduce the levels of bound and metabolically inactive testosterone in the body. It is believed to achieve this feat through the Leutinizing Hormone (LH) pathway. Consequently, users of Longjack commonly report an association between Longjack administration and increased feelings of well-being, increased sex drive, improved joint health, greater recovery from exercise of intense but appropriate duration, improved mental focus, and improved immune system function and reductions in body-fat.
3. Who needs it and are there any symptoms of deficiency?
No physiological need for Longjack exists and thus no symptoms of deficiency exist.
Longjack administration may be efficacious for persons looking to improve sexual function and quality of life, for athletes looking to improve strength, muscle tone and performance, and the elderly and those with declining endogenous anabolic and androgenic hormone levels.
The ability of Longjack to improve sexual performance and improve sexual endurance will greatly assist persons looking to improve the qualitative qualities of sexual activity.
Athletes looking to improve performance will benefit from Longjacks ability to boost testosterone, protect and boost immune function, enhance muscle tone and strength, as well as its ability to reduce body fat levels.
Longjack supplementation is ideal after a cycle of anabolic or androgenic steroids. Longjack supplementation at this time will offset testosterone down-regulation and encourage testosterone up-regulation. This will help the chemically assisted athlete avoid the hormone "crash" that is typical post anabolic or androgenic steroid administration.
4. How much should be taken? Are there any side effects?
Strictly adhere to label recommendations.
Evidence indicates that side-effects are limited and rare.
1. Ang HH, Lee KL, Kiyoshi M. Eurycoma longifolia Jack enhances sexual motivation in middle-aged male mice. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol. 2003;14(3):301-8.
2. Ang HH, Lee KL. Effect of Eurycoma longifolia Jack on libido in middle-aged male rats. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol. 2002;13(3):249-54.
3. Ang HH, Ngai TH, Tan TH. Effects of Eurycoma longifolia Jack on sexual qualities in middle aged male rats. Phytomedicine. 2003;10(6-7):590-3.
4. Ang HH, Lee KL. Effect of Eurycoma longifolia Jack on orientation activities in middle-aged male rats. Fundam Clin Pharmacol. 2002 Dec;16(6):479-83.
5. Ang HH, Cheang HS. Effects of Eurycoma longifolia jack on laevator ani muscle in both uncastrated and testosterone-stimulated castrated intact male rats. Arch Pharm Res. 2001 Oct;24(5):437-40.
6. Ang HH, Cheang HS, Yusof AP. Effects of Eurycoma longifolia Jack (Tongkat Ali) on the initiation of sexual performance of inexperienced castrated male rats. Exp Anim. 2000 Jan;49(1):35-8.