Interview With Pro Bodybuilder Mark Metzger Interviewed by Ben Tatar of CriticalBench.com - September 2008
1) CRITICAL BENCH: Mark, welcome to Critical Bench! It is an honor to have a great bodybuilder from Tampa with us today! Mark, please introduce yourself to all of the Critical Bench readers!
My name is Mark Metzger, I am a personal trainer/Bodybuilder from Tampa FL. I have been competing on a national level since 1992. My senior year in high school I only weighted 98 lbs at the same height 5'6'' and now my off-season weight is 225 lbs at 9% body fat.
2) CRITICAL BENCH: Wow, 98lbs to 225lbs! That is scary impressive! You are truly an example that anything is possible! Love it! Mark, so, far in your bodybuilding journey what has been your favorite, craziest, funniest and moment that has changed your life the most?
My favorite moment in my bodybuilding journey was wining the Florida state title, and wining the All South overall title.
My craziest moment in my bodybuilding journey is driving to weigh-ins at a show in Miami, and my car broke down!!
The funniest moment in my bodybuilding journey, in 2007 North Americans about 30 minutes before pre-judging I knew I had to go to the bathroom really bad, but was also VERY constipated! It took me the whole 30 minutes to finally relieve myself and it was no doubt the male version of giving birth! It was truly the largest "thing" in a toilet bowl.
The moment that has changed me the most in bodybuilding was actually the way I got started. My fraternity brother in college was a bodybuilder, and I was amazed at the way both guys and girls looked at him. I knew from that point that I wanted to be a competitive bodybuilder!!
3) CRITICAL BENCH: Where in Tampa do you train?
I currently train at a David's Personal Training Studio, in Tampa FL.
4) CRITICAL BENCH: Tell us about your diet and what are your favorite supplements?
My pre contest diet is a moderate to low carbohydrate diet consisting of your basic staples like chicken, lean beef, rice, oatmeal, potatoes, and sometimes whey protein shakes.
5) CRITICAL BENCH: Give us your workout routine!
My workout routine goes like this:
Day 1 - Chest / Calves
Day 2 - Quads
Day 3 - Shoulders/Triceps
Day 4 - OFF
Day 5 - Biceps/Hamstrings
Day 6 - Back
Day 7 - OFF
6) CRITICAL BENCH: How do you like other bodybuilders in the sport?
I find most bodybuilders to be great to be around!
7) CRITICAL BENCH: What is your opinion about the steroid debate?
If they didn't work people wouldn't use them.
8) CRITICAL BENCH: What makes the difference between champion bodybuilders and average lifters?
Being 100% dedicated to your diet and to your training. There are days when you just don't feel like doing it, but you do it anyway. If you stay 100% disciplined then you can't fail.
9) CRITICAL BENCH: Mark, you have had a lot and a ton of amazing accomplishments in your bodybuilding journey so far. Tell us, what have been the 5 highlights of your bodybuilding career so far?
Winning the Florida State title
Winning the All South overall title
Being featured twice in Parrillo Press Magazine, as athlete of the month
Obtaining my Twin Lab Sponsorship
Working with my trainer and IFBB Pro Steve Brisbois
10) CRITICAL BENCH: You're the man! What are your future goals?
My future goal with my bodybuilding career is to see how far I can go in the sport.
11) CRITICAL BENCH: What do you enjoy doing away from bodybuilding?
Spending time with my fiancÚ, Sara, and our two little boston terriers, Tikki & Peanut. I also love Muscle cars, especially Mustangs!!!
12) CRITICAL BENCH: What is your favorite exercise?
My favorite exercise is squats.
13) CRITICAL BENCH: Good choice! What is the best advice you were ever told and what was the worst?
The best advice that I was ever told is that I can have a cheat meal once a week while dieting for a show, and the worst advice that I was given was its OK to eat rice cake and honey on a pre contest diet.
14) CRITICAL BENCH: Too funny! What are some of the biggest reactions you have ever gotten towards your cut like physique?
The crowd applause and cheering for my back on a rear double bicep pose.
15) CRITICAL BENCH: What motivates you to be the best you can be?
I always want to challenge myself to look better each year.
16) CRITICAL BENCH: What is your advice for the younger bodybuilder who looks up to you?
My advice that I give to my young bodybuilder clients is if you make it up in your mind that you have an all out burning desire to be a competitive bodybuilder you can be one no matter what anyone else says.
17) CRITICAL BENCH: Mark, what is your favorite thing about yourself?
I think what I like most about myself is that I have a lot of compassion toward people.
18) CRITICAL BENCH: You are a connected warrior! Mark, when it is all said and done how do you want to be remembered?
I want to be remembered as the guy who was considered hardcore, tenacious, and never gave up.
CRITICAL BENCH: Mark you are the man and it has been great talking to you today! In closing who would you like to thank?
I want to thank God because without him none of this would be possible. My good friend and IFBB Pro Steve Brisbois, and Jeff Parker who originally got me started in bodybuilding.